Global Recycled Standard
STAGE OF VALUE CHAIN
TYPE OF STANDARD
The Global Recycled Standard
The Global Recycled Standard is a holistic certification for products with recycled content. The desired effect of the GRS is to provide brands with a tool for more accurate labeling, to encourage innovation in the use of reclaimed materials, to establish more transparency in the supply chain, and to provide better information to consumers.
The Global Recycled Standard (GRS) is an international, voluntary, full product standard that sets requirements for third-party certification of Recycled Content, chain of custody, social and environmental practices, and chemical restrictions. The goal of the GRS is to increase use of Recycled materials in products and reduce/eliminate the harm caused by its production. The objectives of the GRS are:
• Alignment of definitions across multiple applications.
• Track and trace Recycled input materials Provide customers (both brands and consumers) with a tool to make informed decisions.
• Reduce harmful impact of production to people and the environment.
• Provide assurance that materials in the final product are actually Recycled and processed more sustainably.
• Drive innovation in addressing quality issues in the use of Recycled materials. The Global Recycled Standard is intended for use with any product that contains at least 20% Recycled Material. Each stage of production is required to be certified, beginning at the recycling stage and ending at the last seller in the final business-to-business transaction.
Material Collection and Material Concentration sites are subject to self-declaration, document collection, and on-site visits. The GRS does not address quality or legal compliance.
The GRS uses the ISO 14021 definition of Recycled Content, with interpretations based on the US Federal Trade Commission Green Guides; the intention is to comply with the most widely recognized and stringent definitions. This is a voluntary standard that is not intended to replace the legal or regulatory requirements of any country. It is the responsibility of each operation to demonstrate compliance with all applicable laws and regulations related to marketing, labor, and business practices. Sellers of GRS products are advised to reference the allowed Recycled Content claims in the countries of sale, to ensure that they are meeting all legal product claim requirements.